Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reflection #8: Mid-Terms Aren't That Bad, At Least I'm not Salome...

Remember at orientation when they told us that come mid-October we were going to go from anxious, newly independent, obsessed with our new friends to stressed out, sickly, nervous wrecks? That was not a joke. That might be a little bit of an exaggeration but with the exception of still being obsessed with the sixth floor of Letts, everyone definitely revealed a different side of themselves these past couple weeks in the midst of mid-terms, the changing weather, and lack of sleep. That’s why our recent game of Risk, and the trip to the Kennedy Center were two incredibly refreshing events that I think we all needed.

Risk was interesting because for one, I’ve never played before and two, I tend to get competitive and enjoy activities like this one. One of my favorite aspects was the “special power” that each diplomat and head of state had that no one else knew about because it represented a sense of constructivism in terms of shifting the way that each state reacted to each individual state. The resemblance to the set up of modern states could also be seen through the power struggle that has continued throughout the past three classes, and also the hesitancy in making bold, yet strategic moves. Or in other words, risk. I was excited to visit the Kennedy Center for the first time to see my very first Opera. However, Salome was not what I was expecting at all. While I thought it was interesting and the talent of the singers was overwhelming, I felt that the story line was a little slow and the dialogue slightly repetitive. I still appreciated the melodrama and couldn’t help but think, “at least I’m not this girl.”

No comments:

Post a Comment