Saturday, December 4, 2010

The End

As the first semester winds to an end, and as we all dive earnestly (or not) into the matter of studying for our final exams, it is time for one last reflection on our World Politics class. I have to say that this class was different - better - than I'd expected. Not that I expected it to be a dud, of course; that said, I was always stunned at how easily that discussion moved every day. A cohort of intelligent people doesn't always lead to productive or active discussion; however, it always seemed to bring us to that point on Mondays and Thursdays, and for that I am thankful.

Now, was that due to the particular students here on Letts 6? Was it due to the instructor? Was it some strange synergy of both? I'd have to peg it on the latter. PTJ is a perfect devil's advocate and conversation starter, certainly (although some of his decisions were heart-breaking - what happened to the ball??); even so, it was my fellow students who really drew the class along. There were more contested opinions than I would have expected from a school with such a liberal reputation, and I never felt marginalized or ignored when I spoke. Such an open and open-minded table meant for healthy talk and solid debate. I can think of some people in particular - Christian, Aubrey, Priyanka, Colin - who really impacted the way I have viewed certain issues thanks to their rhetoric and flair in our World Politics class; however, every person on this floor has contributed to the atmosphere that drew me down to class every morning, waiting for someone to say something that would make me think. It happened every day without fail. Thank you, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment